Monday, February 27, 2012

Supplements - finding what works.

I am not a pill taker.  Yes - I take Advil (now that I've started running more than I ever have) and your occasional Tylenol - but there is something about a multivitamin that just doesn't work for me.

I general believe that if eat a healthy diet - you get the vitamins you need each day.  I also fully understand that most days - I don't eat as healthy as I should and therefore I am sure I am lacking in areas.

I do a lot of research on supplements and how good they are for your body.  I buy them  - and in my cabinet and or refrigerator they sit.  At least - until they expire and I throw them out. 

I'll be 43 in a couple of months and my body is definately starting to remind me of that on a regular basis.  My muscles don't hurt me after a long run nearly as much as my joints do! 

There's a ton of stuff out there on the internet telling me what I should take - and in the end - it amounts to a LOT of pills each day.  I have no valid reason for why I can't / don't take these.  I have a "pill box", I know they aren't bad for me and yet....swallowing those suckers just doesn't appeal to me.  The thought of it shuts me right down.

I'm going to get better.  I'm going to experiment with this and try and keep it as simple as possible.

Here's my plan....

1.  Multivitamin  (problem is most multis are 2 a day.  I never get 2 a day in!)
2.  Fish oil (I've actually found an orange flavored liquid supplement.  If it isn't expired - I'm gonna start taking this)
3.  Calcium - I'm going to try and drink one full glass of milk a day.  I don't generally do this - I usually have it in my coffee and that's it.  I know one glass won't fulfull my daily requirement but it's a start.
4.  Glucosamine.  Here's where it goes down hill.  The bottle I have is expired so I need to buy more.  These pills are ginormous and I'm trying to avoid a situation where I buy them and end up throwing them out again.  Because my joints ache - I'm thinking this will help.  Are there alternatives?  Suggestions anyone?

Do you take vitamins or supplements of any kind?  How do you stick with it?  How do you figure out what works and what doesn't?


No comments:

Post a Comment