Friday, November 18, 2011

Bear with me as I figure out exactly how this blogging thing works.....

I've decided to start blogging as a tool to hold myself more accountable for my goals. I figure if I put things in writing, out there for "the whole world to see" (as my father says) then maybe I'll take more responsibility for myself.

As I go along - hopefully you'll see improvements and changes to the format of this page. It may take me awhile as I'm not too saavy about these things!

I started running back in June. And when I say started - I mean I have never been a runner. I'm not the kind of gal that one would consider "athletic". I certainly didn't think I would find myself at the age of 42 starting something new and lacing up my running shoes on a regular basis. When I signed up for the Warrior Dash my husband kept asking me - 'are you sure you know what you are getting yourself into'?

It's been slow, literally. I have a running shirt that says "Why run faster when you can follow this a$$?" on the back of it and it's no joke.

When my friends comment on how much I must really like running - I actually have to stop and think about it. Do I love it? I'm not gonna lie - when my feet first hit the pavement - what's running (pun intended) through my mind isn't how much I'm enjoying myself. Usually I'm thinking "how come this doesn't seem to be getting any easier"?

What I do love is race day. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the energy that you feel when you are standing there with all those other runners waiting to start. Right now - that's what keeps me going. I imagine years from now (at least I hope) as I am still running - I will realize it is something I can't live without. For now - what keeps me moving is my next race.

That said - since June I've run:
(2) 5k trail races
(2) 5k road races
The Warrior Dash
(1) 10k (my greatest accomplishment to date)

My goal now is to be able to run a half-marathon in the spring. Increasing my mileage over the winter won't be easy - but having the goal will help. If anyone has any suggestions for half-marathons in the North East let me know. (preferably FLAT terrain! HA)

More to follow.....

BTW- I did just sign my self up for the HBBC Challenge (Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge) - this should motivate me to rack up those miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment