Monday, November 21, 2011

So JEALOUS of everyone at Philly yesterday.....

To be honest....I was mildly jealous until I learned that I had a "friend" that was participating in the half marathon. Well...more of an acquaintance, but still. I can run 5, I can run 6 - but the thought of getting up to 13+ gives me pause.

Yesterday was an amazing day in the North East (almost 70 degrees!) so it was the perfect day for hitting the pavement. I ran 5 and felt so much better afterwards. Getting ready for the 5 M Turkey Trot on Thursday. What I'm really excited about is how much less guilt I plan on having at the end of the day after I've proceeded to stuff myself thoroughly!

My struggle as I prepare for races - and I do "prepare" and read a ton - is finding the proper balance when it comes to training. I don't seem to have my rhythm when it comes to how much is too much or too little. I'm obsessed with increasing my mileage and afraid that if I don't run big miles (big being relative of course!) that I'll lose ground.

Am I supposed to work on getting faster while I'm increasing my distance or am I supposed to work on that after the fact? How am I supposed to be doing speed drills, hill training, AND running long distances on a regular basis? Don't get me wrong - I AM getting faster (ok - that's relative also!) but when I started training I was running almost a 15 minute mile - now my training runs are between 10 and 11 minutes.

My goals for the week -
Run at least 2 miles every day (although I MAY take Wednesday off to "rest up" for Thursday)
Monday - Run 2
Tuesday - Run 3
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - 5 mile Race (I've read that you should try and walk a mile at least AFTER your race to help your muscles recuperate -I'm hoping to get in something slow and short in the afternoon)
Friday - Run 2 (very SLOWLY)
Saturday - Can I run 3? That'll be tough. I've realized that my body definitely needs some time to get back into it after a race.

All this rambling on - I feel a bit like Doogie Howser :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment