Monday, December 26, 2011
Running doesn't make you skinny....and other things I've learned this year....
I did learn a LOT about running and myself along the way.
1. Let's get real here people - Running does NOT make you skinny. I, like most other people who aren't natural born runners, put on those running shoes for the first time thinking that I was going to instantly drop weight. HECK - that's WHY I started running. I didn't lose a pound for the first two months. You'd think you would - after all - when you first start running it feels like one of the hardest things you can do. (some days - it is still the hardest thing I do!)
2. Running is good for the SOUL but not necessarily the "SOLE". Running has changed who I am as a person. My mental health, clarity and outlook on life have improved ten fold. Along with this new found "ME" comes new worries about hammies, PF, footstrike and other stresses on my joints and bones. Wouldn't change a thing....just sayin.
3. It's all about the T-shirt. I don't know about you - but I am one of those - 1st to register people just to be sure I get the "free to the first" registrants t-shirt. Exactly WHEN am I supposed to wear these shirts? Most of them are men's shirts so they aren't exactly flattering to wear around town.
5. I'd rather run than drink. Ok - this one I had to think about. I do love a good "social" hour.
6. I feel better when I run than I look. I guess it really is mind over matter - but when I see pictures - I cringe. Where's that grace I'm sure I have?
What has running taught you? Have you changed because of it?